Author: Naheed Afshan, Benish Nawaz and Maliha Hamid

Publishing Date: 2017

E-ISSN: 1011-601X

Volume 30 Issue 1


Carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter has appeared an organism of uncertain resistivity towards antimicrobial agents. Among non-fermenting bacterium Acinetobacter is the second-most-commonly-isolated organisms in human. The fast intensify of their resistance to antibiotics, especially global emergence and extend of Acinetobacter strains resistant to carbapenem more restricted the therapeutic alternatives. The importation of A. baumannii and subsequent presence in hospitals has been well documented. In this study we evaluate the resistivity of Acinetobacter against carbapenem antibiotics at Jinnah University for Women, Karachi. Total 439 isolates of Acinetobacter were collected from different clinical samples of hospitalized patients, identified by standard microbiological methods. Antibiograms were done on Mueller-Hinton agar plates with disk diffusion method (Kirby Bauer method). Disc tested: Meropenem (10μg/disk). Among 439 samples, 300 (68.3%) samples were resistant to Meropenem and the remaining that is 139 (31.7%) showed sensitivity to the drugs. In developing countries including Pakistan the contentment of multi drug resistance and their dissemination in Acinetobacter species is not a simple task. While multiple drug resistance is increasing in this pathogen and Carbapenem conflict is quickly spreading which may become a major threat in future.

KEYWORDS: Antibiograms, Carbapenem, Resistant, Outbreaks

Full Text